Swiss Metals Refiner Accused Of Laundering
GENEVA (AP) a¿¿ A Swiss nonprofit campaigning group is calling on the country's federal prosecutor's office to open a criminal investigation into one of the world's largest processors of precious metals.
The organization, TRIAL, told a news conference Monday it filed a "criminal denunciation" against Swiss refinery Argor-Heraeus, based on evidence collected by a former U.N. investigator.
TRIAL director Philip Grant says the documents show the company may have refined three tons of gold ore obtained by armed groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo through pillaging, a war crime. Kathi Lynn Austin, the former investigator, says that by refining the gold, the company essentially laundered it.
Argor-Heraeus said in a statement it "firmly refuses any such accusation" and was surprised by it because the U.N. already dealt with previous such claims.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV