As for becoming president, Christie may not be Tea party enough to win the 2016 presidential election. The media says his "in-your face" outbursts may work well in the tri-states, but could hurt his chances for a presidential bid.
Initially it was his health and girth that pundits said would keep him out of the White House; now it is his big personality? There's no lap-band for that.
Meanwhile, Buono faces the opposite challenges, as she was still suffering from name recognition just days ahead of the vote. She has been criticized for having low visibility throughout this campaign. People just do not know enough about her, other than her association with former Gov. Jon Corzine, who lost to Christie in 2009.
Christie blamed Buono, who chaired the Senate's Budget and Appropriations panel for two years under the leadership of Democrat Corzine, for leaving him and the state with billions in deficits.At any rate, Christie is a tough candidate to beat. His willingness to cross party lines for the benefit of the state, as witnessed after Hurricane Sandy and via his reception of President Obama, has New Jersey Democrats crossing the party line in support of Christie. Apparently he has won over the same coalition that got Obama re-elected -- democrats, Hispanics, African Americans and women, so a second term for Christie looks like a wrap.
-- By Cherella Cox in New Jersey Follow @CherellaCox
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV