Today's Water-Logged And Getting Wetter Stock: E*Trade Financial (ETFC)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified E*Trade Financial (ETFC) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified E*Trade Financial as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ETFC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $43.4 million.
- ETFC has traded 435,751 shares today.
- ETFC traded in a range 1839.3% of the normal price range with a price range of $7.75.
- ETFC traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 293 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 293 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ETFC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ETFC NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on ETFC: E*TRADE Financial Corporation, a financial services company, provides online brokerage and related products and services primarily to individual retail investors under the E*TRADE Financial brand in the United States. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate E*Trade Financial a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for E*Trade Financial has been 3.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. The stock has a beta of 2.33 and a short float of 5.5% with 3.45 days to cover. Shares are up 88.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates E*Trade Financial as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 260.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 102.27% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Although ETFC had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 265.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$28.63 million to $47.43 million.
- E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.39 versus $0.54 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.67 versus -$0.39).
- ETFC, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 15.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full E*Trade Financial Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV