NEW YORK, Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Looking ahead, one-third of Americans expect a shift in economic powers according to a new nationwide survey from TheStreet (NASDAQ: TST), conducted by GfK North America 1. The study finds that while more than half of Americans (59%) believe that the United States (U.S.) is currently the dominant economic power, more than one-third (35%) of Americans believe that China will inherit that title before the end of the decade.
"Despite the slow economic recovery of the five years since the financial crisis, most people in the United States still regard the nation as the world's dominant economic power," said Joe Deaux, TheStreet's Economics Analyst. "However, confidence that the U.S. will retain that status five to seven years out wavers. Though respondents still see the U.S. in the future as the outright economic leader, favor for China substantially narrows the gap."
Other survey highlights include:
- Less than one third (28%) of those polled think that China is currently the world's dominant economic power.
- Half of those polled over the age of 65+ think the U.S. will be the world's dominant economic power in five to seven years but just over one third (35%) of 18-34 year olds think so.
- Over half (53%) of those polled who earn less than $25,000/year think the U.S. will be the world's dominant economic power in five to seven years but among those who earn more than $50,000/year 37% think the U.S will be the world's dominant economic power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV