NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gray Television (GTN) was gaining on Monday as the television station operator said it will acquire Yellowstone Television's four stations in a deal valued at $23 million.
The transaction, which is expected to immediately add to the Atlanta-based company's earnings, will give Gray a total of 49 stations representing one of the four major U.S. broadcasters. Yellowstone owns an NBC-affiliated station in Laredo, Texas and a CBS station in Cheyenne, Wyoming, among others.
Wells Fargo media analyst Marci Ryvicker called the acquisition a "nice tuck-in deal." Gray's national reach covers 7.7% of U.S. television households. Shares of Gray were rising 4.7% to $8.73, extending the company's 2013 advance to 297%.
The Yellowstone deal follows television station acquisitions earlier this year that are reshaping the industry.
In June, Media General (MEG) merged with New Young Broadcasting Holding in an $860 million deal backed by Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, that created a company owning 30-network affiliated stations reaching about 16.5 million U.S. TV households.
In July, Tribune TRBAA the Chicago-based media company that came out of a painful bankruptcy at the end of 2012, announced plans to acquire privately-held Local TV Holdings for $2.725 billion in cash, creating a company owning 42 local TV stations covering 39% of U.S. TV households.
And in late July, Sinclair Broadcast Group, (SBGI), the largest single U.S. owner of TV stations, paid $985 million for seven ABC-affiliated stations owned by the Allbritton family along with a 24-hour Washington D.C.-based cable channel. Sinclair owns 149 network-affiliated TV stations for a coverage of 38%, according to its Web site.
By Leon Lazaroff in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV