Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers, today announced that it has settled its IP dispute with Round Rock Research LLC. The settlement includes a licensing arrangement that makes RFID solutions licensed under the Round Rock RFID patent portfolio available to customers. SMARTRAC, a leading supplier of RFID transponders and inlays, concurrently entered into its own license agreement with Round Rock, allowing SMARTRAC to provide licensed RFID tags to customers. System installations using Motorola Solutions’ fixed and handheld readers together with RFID tags licensed by Round Rock (such as SMARTRAC’s licensed RFID tags) will be considered free from assertions by Round Rock.
- In January 2012, Round Rock filed lawsuits against a number of companies – including some of Motorola Solutions’ customers – alleging that their RFID solutions infringed Round Rock’s RFID patents.
- This litigation threatened to slow the adoption of RFID solutions, which can vastly improve inventory and asset management process efficiency and drive substantial business productivity improvements.
- In March 2012, Motorola Solutions filed its own lawsuit challenging the Round Rock patents.
- Now, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have reached a business resolution outside of the litigation process that enables customers to deploy RFID systems free of the Round Rock patent assertions.
- The dual participation of Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC ensures that the market has both RFID tag and RFID reader vendor options that together are free from Round Rock patent assertions.
- By entering into this arrangement with Round Rock, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have eliminated some uncertainly that threatened to slow RFID adoption and market growth.
- Because customers’ interests and the vitality of the RFID industry are paramount, this licensing arrangement with Round Rock is non-exclusive, allowing other RFID reader and tag providers the opportunity to reach similar resolutions thereby making a host of options available to customers.
Mike Poldino, vice president of product management and market development, Data Capture Solutions, Motorola Solutions“This agreement with Round Rock Research reflects Motorola Solutions’ unyielding commitment to protect our customers and to grow the RFID market. By removing this uncertainty that threatened to slow adoption, we have removed a distraction, which will help our customers focus on what they do best – running their businesses.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts