- In January 2012, Round Rock filed lawsuits against a number of companies – including some of Motorola Solutions’ customers – alleging that their RFID solutions infringed Round Rock’s RFID patents.
- This litigation threatened to slow the adoption of RFID solutions, which can vastly improve inventory and asset management process efficiency and drive substantial business productivity improvements.
- In March 2012, Motorola Solutions filed its own lawsuit challenging the Round Rock patents.
- Now, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have reached a business resolution outside of the litigation process that enables customers to deploy RFID systems free of the Round Rock patent assertions.
- The dual participation of Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC ensures that the market has both RFID tag and RFID reader vendor options that together are free from Round Rock patent assertions.
- By entering into this arrangement with Round Rock, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have eliminated some uncertainly that threatened to slow RFID adoption and market growth.
- Because customers’ interests and the vitality of the RFID industry are paramount, this licensing arrangement with Round Rock is non-exclusive, allowing other RFID reader and tag providers the opportunity to reach similar resolutions thereby making a host of options available to customers.
Motorola Solutions Settles IP Dispute With Round Rock, Licenses Round Rock RFID Patents
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.