NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The newest Android phone designed in the Google (GOOG) era - the Moto G, from Motorola Mobility, is set to be unveiled Nov. 13th, as the company looks to up its product offerings into the holiday season.
The upcoming Moto G has been the subject of rumors for the past few weeks. Rounding up rumors and information that has leaked so far, the phone will look very similar to the Moto X, but will cost less. It's possible the Moto G will probably be a slightly less powerful device than the X.
According to a leaked internal retail promotion card that has made its way onto the Internet, the new Moto G will sport a quad-core, 1.2 GHz Qualcomm (QCOM) S4 processor, a 3.5-inch 720p HD touchscreen, only 8 GB of storage, 5 MP and 1.3 MO cameras and will ship with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and not the brand new Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) announced last week.
It's believed that buyers will be able to customize their new G handsets using that same "Moto Maker" online tools we used when we designed our own Moto X test unit a few weeks ago. The new phones could be manufactured in Motorola's new Ft. Worth, Texas plant but might offer G buyers fewer configuration choices.
The big draw for the new smartphone is said to be the price. It's rumored that a brand new Moto G will be free for "buyers" in the United States when they agree to a new contract.
Just last week a number of U.S. carriers announced lower selling prices for the Moto X. $99 for the 16 GB model and $149 for the 32 GB version. Early estimates are predicting that so far the X has sold in modest quantities, though nothing concrete has come from Google.
The new lower price for the Moto X and a second, less expensive Moto G model could help to boost the Google/Motorola division's bottom line.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV