DALLAS, Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's first floating switch architecture that simplifies the offline linear drive of LEDs in lamps, downlights and fixtures. The AC switched matrix technique features TI's TPS92411 floating MOSFET switch and is an innovative approach to producing low-ripple LED drive current without magnetic components. The architecture provides excellent compatibility with legacy wall dimmers and delivers high power factor and low total harmonic distortion (THD). For more information, samples and evaluation modules, visit www.ti.com/tps92411-pr.
Flyback, buck and boost converters are common switch-mode power supply (SMPS) topologies in LED lamps today. These circuits operate at high frequencies and require inductive components to turn mains AC current into the constant DC current necessary to drive LEDs. Selection of inductors and transformers for power transfer is complicated, often requiring expensive custom components. In addition, an electromagnetic interference (EMI) filter consisting of four to ten passive components is required to prevent the SMPS circuit from harming other electronic equipment. If phase dimming is required, multiple design iterations may be necessary to optimize dimmer compatibility and prevent LED flicker.
The floating switch architecture with TI's TPS92411 overcomes these challenges. It requires no inductive components for power transfer, eliminating cost and bulk and simplifying design. Watch a video here.The TPS92411 joins TI's diverse LED driver portfolio that includes the TPS92075, LM3447 and LM3445. Key features and benefits of TPS92411:
- 100-V, 2-Ohm floating MOSFET switch with 350 mA of current capability
- LED drive performance is comparable to traditional flyback, buck and boost converters:
- Greater than 0.95 power factor.
- Less than 15 percent of total harmonic distortion.
- Low LED current ripple results in efficient LED utilization as compared with "tapped linear" drivers.
- Low-frequency, slew-rate controlled switch action produces very little EMI noise.
- Unlike designs using traditional converters, the very low-cost floating switch architecture requires no inductive components.
- Works well with both TRIAC and reverse phase wall dimmers.
- Supports lighting designs up to 70 W.
- Order the TPS92411 light engine evaluation module.
- Download the TPS92411 design calculator tools: 120V or 230V.
- Get more information on all of TI's lighting products: www.ti.com/lighting-pr.
- Design a complete LED power management system with TI's WEBENCH® LED Architect.
- Search for solutions, get help and share knowledge in the Power Management forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
- Download an LED reference design from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV