SACRAMENTO, Calif., Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Over a five-year period (2007-2011), 1,572 California teen drivers, ages 13-19, were involved in fatal crashes, and more than half of those teen drivers caused the crash. To spotlight this issue in California, a state that is ranked second for the most teen crash fatalities, The Allstate Foundation and thousands of California teens will participate in teen safe driving activities during #GetThereSafe Week beginning today. The highlight of the week is when students at 20 high schools will take part in raising a #GetThereSafe flag at their schools to remind each other about the importance of smart driving.
"Peers play a significant role in teens' decisions when they are driving," said Freddy Santos, Field Corporate Relations Manager with Allstate in California. "Thanks to peer-to-peer influence, teens are speaking up when they witness distracted driving, but teen safe driving doesn't stop there. We want to empower teens to speak up when they see speeding or too many passengers load into the car—especially when it is against the law."
The Allstate Foundation's Get There Safe Week is part of the #GetThereSafe program, a teen-led initiative that raises awareness around the dangers of the three risky driving behaviors that frequently cause fatal teen crashes – speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and being distracted by other teen passengers in the car.
According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
- Fifty-six percent of American teens in fatal motor-vehicle crashes were not wearing a seat belt.
- Speeding is a factor in one out of every three teen fatal accidents.
- For teens, adding one teen passenger to a car increases their crash risk by almost 50 percent and that risk grows exponentially as more teen passengers are added – 202 percent more likely to crash with two teen passengers and 439 percent more likely with three or more teen passengers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts