5 Small U.S. Brewers Run by Foreign Companies
None of that makes a beer "American." Milwaukee's Miller Brewing was acquired by U.K.-via-South Africa's SAB in 2002, placing it firmly under foreign control. Denver-based Coors merged with Canada's Molson in 2005, splitting the brewery between the two countries. Though the term "American" still applies -- Canadians will remind U.S. drinkers that both are in North America -- it's tough to call MolsonCoors (TAP) a U.S. company when one of its headquarters is in Montreal.
Just about anyone in St. Louis can attest that Budweiser is no longer an All-American beer, already a stretch for a beer whose name and formula have Czech origins and are routinely the subject of legal battles in Europe. Belgium's InBev bought A-B for $52 billion in 2008 and the resulting Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) has headquarters in Leuven, Belgium, and Sao Paulo, Brazil.
If you're looking for the biggest of the U.S.-made brews, you'll have to turn to Pottsville, Pa. -- home of D.G. Yuengling & Son. Brewed in Pennsylvania and Tampa, Fla., Yuengling is the biggest beer produced solely in the U.S. -- churning out 2.79 million barrels last year. Boston-based Boston Beer (SAM) comes in a close second with 2.727 barrels brewed in Boston, Pennsylvania and Ohio last year.Unfortunately, that doesn't make regional or even craft beers a lock as U.S.-owned companies. A number of acquisitions in recent years have made a mess of the landscape and have placed even brewers with deep U.S. microbrewing roots into the hands of foreign owners. We took a look around and found the following five examples of U.S. brewers owned by overseas interests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV