5 Winter-Proofing Tips Homeowners Need to Hear
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the calendar's flip from October to November, the official start of winter is only seven weeks away.
But for much of the U.S., the temperature will be dipping into the 30s on a regular basis much sooner, and that's a potential problem for homeowners; cold weather can be one of the most destructive forces in Mother Nature's arsenal.
To the rescue rides New Jersey American Water, a utility and services company with tips to keep homes warm and dry in the coming months.
"We encourage homeowners to take special care to insulate their pipes from freezing weather to avoid property damage," says Bill Varley, president of New Jersey American Water. "By weatherproofing your home you can save money on your winter energy bills and guard against potential breaks and leaks in your indoor plumbing. Just a few precautionary steps can save you major headaches in the long run."$15,000 in costs -- the average insurance claim for frozen pipes reported by State Farm Insurance. To avoid freezing pipes and other cold-weather threats, take the following steps to safeguard your home: Know where your shut-off valve is. If there is an emergency, you need to know where to go to turn the water off. It's a good idea to stick a tag on the valve to make it more easily identifiable. Make sure your water pipes are "covered." If you have water pipes in your home that are uninsulated or lie in an unheated area (such as in a crawlspace or unfinished basement), wrap some heating tape around the pipe to protect them from freezing weather. Close down drafts. Cold air has a habit of finding its way into an unprotected home, so cover up exposed areas by sealing windows, insulating walls and attics and closing off crawlspaces.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV