Consumers Ignore Early Shopping Year After Year
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Retailers keep inching the holiday shopping season up every year, with the first ads, banners and discount Christmas promotions starting in late September -- barely one week after the end of the summer.
But as hard as retailers try to rush into the holiday shopping season, consumers are in no hurry to accommodate them.
Most shoppers wait until the last minute to do their Christmas shopping, according to TransUnion, the consumer credit behemoth.
Consumers have 40% more "spend activity" on their credit cards in December than any other month in the year, TransUnion says, and 20% of credit card holders spend twice as much in December as any other month.November, which should be a banner month for retailers, doesn't even rank as second-strongest. That honor goes to August, when consumer spending is 7% higher than the average month thanks to back-to-school shopping. February, March and April are the worst months for retailers, and from January to May consumers generally put their plastic away until the summer vacation seasons starts. "Our data clearly show that significantly more consumer spend is reported in December than in a typical month, even though many retailers offer considerable incentives much earlier in the holiday season," says Ezra Becker, vice president of research and consulting at TransUnion. "As importantly, we also found that those individuals who spent the most in a given year were likely to be ones to do so the following year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV