One of the reason why so many companies are getting involved is that even the most lavishly funded foundations and NGOs have paltry budgets for research and development. At least when you compare their coffers to stocks like pharmaceutical giants Novartis (NVS), which recently re-opened its R&D wing devoted to the human brain.
Technology companies as well are fascinated with the project, and have been quick to lend their support. Google (GOOG), Microsoft (MSFT), and Qualcomm (QCOM) were all present when Obama rolled out the plan.
Writers at Vice speculate that they are eager to use details about the brain to get even creepier in their perfection of targeted ads. If they had a better idea of which neurons to tap when selling us certain goods – they might be able to evoke stronger, more predictable results.
And then make zombies of us all. Chew on that.Click on the interactive chart below to see data for stocks on our list over time. All of these companies are interested in the human brain, just like zombies. But are there investment opportunities here? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. International Business Machines Corp. (IBM): Provides information technology (IT) products and services worldwide. Market cap at $197.10B, most recent closing price at $180.15. Brain Fixation: IBM announced over the summer that it is working on cognitive computer chips that are inspired by the way neurons interact in the brain. Their hope for the Synapse Project is to develop computers that can accomplish tasks which are easier for the human brain to accomplish than computers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV