Chris Lau, Kapitall: Nokia released a new Lumia, running Windows Phone 8. So will the operating system get a lift?
Click on the interactive chart to see price data over time. Sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
While Nokia is the first to bring a six-inch phablet (typically smartphones with screens between 5-6.9 in) on Windows Phone to the market, there are a number of reasons to be unexcited about the release. Concerns First, there is no stylus. Samsung’s Note 3 phablet device includes a stylus pen to facilitate usage. The pen is one of the reasons why consumers like using a large-sized device. Read more on Tech from Kapitall: MadCatz and NVDIA Join Google and Amazon In the Big Market of Microconsoles Second, the Windows Phone 8 (WP8) environment is still not mature. It lacks many apps that exist on other ecosystems. Microsoft was able to boast that it had 170,000 apps in the store as at August 2013, but it is still a common complaint from users. Without sufficient support for many apps, it will continue to be a struggle for Microsoft to lure customers away from Google’s (GOOG) Android and Apple (AAPL) phones. Click on the interactive chart to see quarterly sales over time. Sourced from Zacks Investment Research. Bright spots There are still some bright things to expect from the Lumia 1520 launch. The handset is powered by a Qualcomm (QCOM) quadcore Snapdragon 800 CPU. If the device performs better than an Android device, it would be a vote of confidence for the Windows Phone 8 environment. The imaging sensor is a PureView, which outputs 20MP images.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV