NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Real estate investment trusts (REITs) were pummeled this week amid a cocktail of bad news. American Capital Agency Corp (AGNC), Annaly Capital Management (NLY), CYS Investments (CYS), Two Harbors Investment (TWO) and Ellington Financial (EFC) were trading lower by week's end.
The sector suffered the majority of losses on Tuesday after American Capital reported earnings a day earlier. The Maryland-based firm reported a third-quarter loss of $1.80 a share, dismally failing to meet analysts' target of 77 cents a share in profit, according to Thomson Reuters surveys. The company blamed volatility in interest rates and mortgage spreads for the earnings loss, two factors which significantly influence competitors in the space.
Also weighing on the industry was a Financial Times report the Federal Reserve Bank of New York had instigated a "deep dive" investigation into banks' relationship with mortgage REITs. The Fed is concerned that if interest rates should succumb to volatility, mortgage REITs might diminish their stake in mortgage-backed securities (MBS), sparking a larger-scale market selloff. The firms in question have increased their MBS holdings by 188% since 2009 to a combined $460 billion stake.
American Capital Agency Corp dropped 9% during the course of the week, though it edged 0.73% higher in Friday trading. Year to date, shares have fallen 24.3%.TheStreet Ratings team rates American Capital Agency Corp as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about its recommendation: "We rate American Capital Agency Corp (AGNC) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AGNC Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NLY Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CYS Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TWO Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EFC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV