Alternatives to Your Thanksgiving Dinner
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- How do you celebrate Thanksgiving? Do you fly or drive long distances to be with family and enjoy mom's turkey and pumpkin pie? Or do you stay home and host a potluck dinner, where guests bring the wine and green-bean casserole?
Let's face it, some of us want none of the usual Thanksgiving Day revelry, and some of us don't really have a choice but to be nontraditional. After all, the day after Thanksgiving is not officially a holiday (The New York Stock Exchange is open until 1 p.m. EST), so if you have to work that Friday, traveling is out of the question.
So what can you do and where can you go in and around the city? We've lined up a few ideas for a nontraditional Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving dinner cruiseThanksgiving is a great American holiday, and what could be more American than having Thanksgiving dinner with the Statue of Liberty in the background? In Manhattan, there are several Thanksgiving dinner cruise options. World Yacht 81 is offering a Thanksgiving dinner buffet cruise for $75 per person. You will sail down the Hudson, around the tip of Manhattan, up the East River, under the Brooklyn Bridge and far enough north to catch a glimpse of the United Nations building. The ship turns around and sets sail for the Statue of Liberty before heading up the Hudson to its Pier 81 dock. For $150 per person, you can get live jazz with dinner aboard Bateaux New York's all-glass vessel. This cruise departs from Chelsea Piers on 23rd Street. For $99 per person, you can get a buffet dinner, a cocktail upon boarding and live DJ entertainment on a three-hour cruise with Hornblower New York. If you don't want to miss the Turkey Day football extravaganza, you'll be glad to know that Hornblower's yachts, which include the elegant Infinity Yacht and the Hybrid Yacht, will be showing the games on flat-screen TVs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV