While CEO Reed Hastings said several years ago that a move to cable would help, the idea had been buried for quite some time until very recently, when an article surfaced suggesting Netflix was in talks with cable providers, Pendola said.
He added that this seemed odd for a company that suddenly wanted to "be part of the cord," after originally wanting to "cut the cord."
On Monday, Pendola wrote a piece that explained why Netflix would not be teaming up with cable companies, or perhaps put more accurately, why cable companies would not be teaming up with Netflix."It's so untrue, it's laughable," he said, citing sources. Comcast (CMCSA) recently announced a new package which includes basic cable, basic Internet and HBO. Pendola added that Time Warner Cable (TWC) is likely to follow suit by leaving Netflix off the list as well. Comcast CEO Neil Smit also stated in the conference call that a deal with Netflix was not even close to true. Pendola griped that this news failed to make the headlines, the opposite of the media blitz regarding the original Netflix-to-cable rumors. However, despite some dicey quarters with earnings per share losses and negative cash flow, Netflix's stock continues to climb. That is because it keeps beating subscription estimates, he said. Pendola concluded that subscriptions could be hitting their saturation point, which makes a move to cable seem logical. However, the cable companies have yet to budge and could clear the "technological hurdles" with ease, if they did indeed want a deal with Netflix. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV