NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Well, if you really wanted to know what " Google (GOOG) the Barge" was, here's your chance. It's a giant retail store, designed for invitation only clients to show off Google Glass and a slew of other gadgets.
The project is being led directly by Sergey Brin, Google's co-founder. According to a source, the barges will have "dazzling showrooms," a party deck with bars and other things to cater to upscale customers.
CBS was the first to report this.
What's interesting about the barge is that not only are the barges floating on water, they can be assembled and disassembled at will, allowing Google to move them anywhere in the world.It's been rumored that the floating store is being powered by the water it's sitting on, with Google having filed such a patent in 2009 for data centers to be powered by water. Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment for this story. Google's gone from "Don't be evil" to "Don't be ordinary." -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV