NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gogo (GOGO), a provider of in-flight internet service, will likely gain a significant windfall once the majority of electronics are allowed to be operated in-flight. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced Thursday it will expand the list of approved devices allowed for use mid-flight, including WiFi and Bluetooth-enabled gadgets.
Speaking with Reuters, CEO Michael Small said while the short-term effects will likely be negligible, long-term revenue gains could be significant. Once U.S. airlines relax electronics guidelines, other nations' regulators might follow suit, opening up new markets for the company, suggested Small.
In the near-term, however, Gogo foresees little revenue increase as WiFi has already seen rapid growth in the domestic airline market. The Illinois-based company currently provides internet services for 80% of U.S. commercial aircrafts.
On Monday, the company announced it had agreed to provide internet access to Japan Airlines and the 77 vehicles in its domestic fleet. The deal was Gogo's first major international contract, marking a significant step in its move to become a global company.Shares are up 2.2% to $19.05 in pre-market trading, adding to increases of 4.5% in Thursday trading. Since its float on June 21, the company has risen 16.5%, outstripping the S&P 500's 10.31% gain over the same period of time. Written by Keris Alison Lahiff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV