But McEwan also announced a new review, taking in the bank's cost base, its "customer-facing" businesses, its IT operations and its organizational and "decision-making structures." The bank will announce the outcome of that review in February.
Royal Bank announced the changes as it posted a 634 million pounds operating loss in the third quarter, less than half the loss of a year earlier.
Its return on equity from its core business was 7.7%.
The Edinburgh lender acknowledged that the U.K. economic recovery is "gaining traction" but said it expects "a continued muted performance from our core businesses in the short term, due primarily to the continued effects of low interest rates, excess liquidity, a smaller balance sheet, and lower securities gains from our liquidity portfolio."-- Written by Laura Board
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV