Census Bureau News -- Profile America Facts For Features: Veterans Day 2013: Nov. 11
WASHINGTON, Oct. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Veterans Day originated as "Armistice Day" on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance, and Nov. 11 became a national holiday beginning in 1938. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation in 1954 to change the name to Veterans Day as a way to honor those who served in all American wars. The day honors military veterans with parades and speeches across the nation. A national ceremony takes place at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
Veterans 21.2 million Number of military veterans in the United States in 2012.Source: 2010-2012 American Community Survey http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/12_1YR/DP02/0100000US
1.6 millionNumber of female veterans in the United States in 2012.Source: 2012 American Community Survey http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/12_1YR/B21001/0100000US11.3%Percent of black veterans in 2012. Additionally, 5.7 percent were Hispanic; 1.3 percent were Asian; 0.8 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native; 0.2 percent were Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and 79.6 percent were non-Hispanic white. (The numbers for blacks, Asians, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, and non-Hispanic whites cover only those reporting a single race.)Source: 2012 American Community Survey http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/12_1YR/S2101 9.6 millionNumber of veterans 65 and older in 2012. At the other end of the age spectrum, 1.8 million were younger than 35.Source: 2012 American Community Survey http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/12_1YR/B21001/0100000US When They Served 7.4 millionNumber of Vietnam-era veterans in 2012. Moreover, there were 5.4 million who served during the Gulf Wars (representing service from August 1990 to present); 1.6 million who served in World War II (1941-1945); 2.3 million who served in the Korean War (1950-1953); and 5.3 million who served in peacetime only.Source: 2012 American Community Survey http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/12_1YR/B21002 54,117Number of living veterans in 2012 who served during the Vietnam era and both Gulf War eras and no other period. Other living veterans in 2012 who served during three wars:
- The number who served during World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam era, 50,004, was not statistically different than the number who served during the Vietnam era and both Gulf War eras.
- 933,315 served during both Gulf War eras.
- 307,376 served during both Gulf War ( August 1990 to August 2001) and Vietnam era.
- 209,183 served during both the Korean War and the Vietnam era.
- 113,269 served during both World War II and the Korean War.
- African-American History Month (February)
- Super Bowl
- Valentine's Day ( Feb. 14)
- Women's History Month (March)
- Irish-American Heritage Month (March)
- St. Patrick's Day ( March 17)
- Earth Day ( April 22)
- Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- Older Americans Month (May)
- Cinco de Mayo ( May 5)
- Mother's Day
- Hurricane Season Begins ( June 1)
- Father's Day
- The Fourth of July ( July 4)
- Anniversary of Americans With Disabilities Act ( July 26)
- Back to School (August)
- Labor Day
- Grandparents Day
- Hispanic Heritage Month ( Sept. 15-Oct. 15)
- Unmarried and Single Americans Week
- Halloween ( Oct. 31)
- American Indian/Alaska Native Heritage Month (November)
- Veterans Day ( Nov. 11)
- Thanksgiving Day
- The Holiday Season (December)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts