Compuware and Marcus Garvey Academy have a longstanding partnership that was formalized by Compuware's adoption of the school in 2010 through the DPS BOLD (Businesses/Organizations Optimizing Learning in Detroit) program. Prior to that date and since, Compuware has been working closely with school administration and staff to identify areas where Compuware resources and energy can make a meaningful difference in the educational outcomes of its student body. A host of supplementary curricula have been developed through the partnership with the school itself emerging as a learning laboratory. Programs tested and refined within its walls include:
- Establishing a year-round speaker series to address important student issues such as bullying; transitioning to high school; bridging the technology divide; and the importance of college.
- Providing tutors for the DPS Reading Corps program that teaches Pre-K through third grade students to read.
- Providing a supply of uniforms for students who are unable to purchase them on their own.
- Partnering with: -- Big Brothers Big Sisters to provide mentors for Garvey students. -- Madonna University to provide field trips for Garvey students to tour the university. -- Junior Achievement to provide a field trip for Garvey eighth grade students to visit Finance Park in Spring 2013.
- Development of a test-taking tutor program for the eighth grade students at the school to help the students prepare – and successfully pass – the entry examinations for Cass Tech, Detroit Renaissance and King High School.
- Hosting a culmination event at Compuware headquarters in May 2012 for all 200 Marcus Garvey students. Guests included WDIV news anchor Rhonda Walker, Detroit Lions player Don Carey, mascots Ronald McDonald, Roary and Paws.
The Mobile App Challenge builds upon a number of these programs by asking students to work collaboratively in small-team environments to conceptualize a mobile application to address a challenge the students face in their school or community. The work-style closely emulates how technology development takes place within Compuware and at other technology leaders.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts