NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices are lower, following the Federal Reserve's FOMC statement, which investors viewed as being more hawkish than anticipated.
TheStreet's Joe Deaux talks with Jonathan Rose, president and CEO of Capital Gold Group. Rose says that stocks will likely pull back when the Fed announces its plan to taper asset purchases, since equities have been moving in tandem with monetary stimulus.
He adds that the first signs of tapering appeared earlier this year and quickly sent equity prices lower.
Rose says that stimulative monetary policy can create inflation, causing the dollar's value to fall and gold to appreciate.
Although inflation can quickly get out of control, the Fed has largely done an excellent job keeping it steady, he says.But Rose warns that the U.S. can't keep printing money without eventually having negative consequences. Although gold has been volatile, it should be viewed as the ultimate safe haven, Rose says. So what happens when tapering is finally announced? Rose says that both the stock market and the yellow metal will sell off. He concludes that there will likely be money to be made on the downside in gold over the short term when that announcement is made. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV