NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ocwen Financial (OCN) reported third-quarter earnings that widely missed analyst estimates, though the company argued, credibly enough, this was due to timing of integrating an acquisition -- issues it said it has now dealt with.
First, the size of the miss: Ocwen reported third-quarter earnings of 44 cents per share, vs. consensus estimates of $1.09. Revenue of $531 million was up 128% vs. a year ago, but 10.5% short of estimates.
Ocwen Chairman Bill Erbey said in a statement accompanying the release that revenue was "suppressed due to delays, that have now been resolved, in boarding the OneWest transaction." Ocwen acquired mortgage servicing rights on $30 billion in unpaid principal on outstanding mortgages from OneWest, the former IndyMac, in August and September.
Oppenheimer analyst Ben Chittenden, who had forecast $1.15, called the results "somewhat disappointing from a quarterly perspective," but added, "we don't think that it changes the longer-term story and is more of a timing issue," according to a research note published Thursday shortly after Ocwen released its results. He advised investors to use any weakness as a buying opportunity.Ocwen shares were down 1.86% to $57.95 in early trading Thursday ahead of a scheduled 11 a.m. conference call. --Written by Dan Freed in New York Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV