Rite Aid Corporation (NYSE: RAD) today announced sales results for October.
For the four weeks ended Oct. 26, 2013, same store sales increased 2.1 percent over the prior-year period. October front-end same store sales decreased 0.6 percent. Pharmacy same store sales, which included an approximate 85 basis points negative impact from new generic introductions, increased 3.4 percent. Prescription count at comparable stores increased 1.1 percent over the prior-year period.
Total drugstore sales for the four-week period increased 2.2 percent to $1.961 billion compared to $1.918 billion for the same period last year. Prescription sales accounted for 69.1 percent of drugstore sales, and third party prescription sales represented 97.0 percent of pharmacy sales.Superstorm Sandy Impact The Company estimates that the cycling of the impact of pre-storm sales on prior year’s results had a negative impact of 1.4% on front-end same store sales results and 0.3 percent on comparable store prescription count growth, as prior year results benefited from an increase in sales in the days immediately preceding Superstorm Sandy. The Company anticipates that the cycling of the impact of Superstorm Sandy will have a positive impact on November’s sales results. Year-to-Date Same store sales for the 34-week period ended Oct. 26, 2013 decreased 0.1 percent over the prior-year period. Front-end same store sales decreased 0.1 percent over the prior-year period while pharmacy same store sales decreased 0.1 percent. Prescription count at comparable stores increased 0.2 percent over the prior-year period. Total drugstore sales for the 34 weeks ended Oct. 26, 2013 decreased 0.3 percent with sales of $16.410 billion compared to $16.463 billion for the same period last year. Prescription sales represented 68.0 percent of total drugstore sales, and third party prescription sales represented 97.0 percent of pharmacy sales. Rite Aid is one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains. On Oct. 26, 2013, the company operated 4,599 stores compared to 4,637 stores in the like period a year ago. Information about Rite Aid, including corporate background and press releases, is available through the company’s website at http://www.riteaid.com. Note that all sales data in this release is preliminary, unaudited and subject to revision. Statements in this release that are not historical are forward-looking statements made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks, assumptions and uncertainties that are described in Item 1A (Risk Factors) of our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and in other documents that we file or furnish with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which you are encouraged to read. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those indicated or anticipated by such forward-looking statements. Accordingly, you are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date they are made. Rite Aid expressly disclaims any current intention to update publicly any forward-looking statement after the distribution of this release, whether as a result of new information, future events, changes in assumptions or otherwise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV