VANCOUVER, British Columbia, October 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- TSX: SLW - NYSE: SLW - All $ are US Dollars
Silver Wheaton Corp. ("Silver Wheaton" or the "Company") (TSX:SLW) (NYSE:SLW) today provides an update and announces an amendment to the silver streaming agreement with Barrick Gold Corporation ("Barrick") regarding the Pascua-Lama project.
As stated in Barrick's Third Quarter Financials news release dated October 31, 2013:" Barrick has decided to temporarily suspend construction activities at Pascua-Lama, except those required for environmental protection and regulatory compliance… The decision to re-start will depend on improved project economics such as go-forward costs, the outlook for metal prices, and reduced uncertainty associated with legal and other regulatory requirements." "The ramp down will be carried out in a way that allows for an efficient and effective re-start when conditions warrant. In the meantime, the company will update and refine capital cost estimates and stage the project's remaining development into distinct phases with specific work programs, budgets and objectives. This staged approach will also facilitate more efficient planning and execution, more effective capital deployment, and improved cost control. The company will also continue to explore further opportunities to improve the project's risk-adjusted returns, such as strategic partnerships and royalty or other income streaming agreements. Most importantly, Barrick's decision will maintain the option value of this major world class resource and its potential to generate significant cash flows during its 25 year mine life and beyond." In Silver Wheaton's original contract with Barrick, throughout 2014 and 2015 Silver Wheaton will be entitled to silver production from three of Barrick's currently producing mines, the Lagunas Norte, Pierina, and Veladero mines (collectively "Barrick's Other Mines"), to the extent of any production shortfall at Pascua-Lama, until Barrick satisfies the completion test.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV