NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Homebuilding is an important segment of the U.S. economy, and the stocks in this group continue to have their ups and downs. In this environment homebuilder stock ratings have been flip-flopping between buy, hold and sell. This volatility should continue to provide buy-and-trade opportunities.
On Sept. 26 I wrote,
Homebuilder Volatility Provides Trading Opportunities and on this date the
PHLX Housing Sector Index
The weekly chart for the housing sector index shows the decline from its mid-2005 high to its March 2009 low and the subsequent rebound back above its 200-week SMA as 2012 began. The 200-week is now at 130.31. The chart also shows that the 2013 trading range has been influenced by the 50.0% and 61.8% Fibonacci Retracements of the entire housing crash. These key levels are 174.17 and 202.51 respectively. As this index declines towards the low end of this range, homebuilders tend to be upgraded and be near tests of value levels. At the upper end of this range the homebuilders tend to be downgraded near tests of risky levels.
Chart Courtesy of MetaStock Xenith
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV