Religious Respect: Ask Noah
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Q: I was born and raised in a very religious household. While I still hold fast to the values that brought, I'm also modern in my approach to religion.
However, there are certain religious traditions I keep, which I feel my work atmosphere is less than amenable towards. I've hinted at my concerns to my boss. He didn't really respond. Shall I speak candidly about my upset? I'm not sure how to advocate for myself here. Please help.
A: You're speaking about a common conflict experienced by many a worker between religious practices and employment obligations.
I've no idea what your religious traditions are or how you go about practicing them. This is not mine nor your boss' business!However, it does matter what you are requesting from your employer regarding the keeping of "certain religious traditions." Before confronting your boss, ask yourself if the request you're making to more freely practice religious traditions might cause undo stress to your work life? Is your request in line with what any reasonable person of faith would require? Consider these questions:
Are you requesting to take time off from work to observe a holiday(s)? Is this request a day, a week, a month? Do you need time off during the workday each day?
Was this pre-determined before you were hired? Are you just now bringing up this matter?
Is this a wardrobe issue? In order to be a practitioner does your particular faith involve wearing specific clothing? Have you felt discriminated for wearing these garments?
Are you proselytizing to co-workers on your religious beliefs during office hours, i.e. passing out pamphlets, holding impromptu sermons?
Are you using/expecting to use company equipment or supplies to print copies of edicts?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV