NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Expedia (EXPE) shares enjoyed a sharp rise in post-earnings trading, spiking 18.2% to $59.05 after the bell. The online travel agent reported third-quarter earnings of $1.43 a share, beating the $1.35 a share expectation from analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance. Revenue of $1.4 billion surpassed expectations by $30 million and grew 17% year over year.
The Washington state-based company said revenue growth was driven by 20% year-on-year increases in hotel room bookings, as well as advertising profits. International sales, which increased 23% year on year excluding exchange rates, contributed 49% to total revenue, higher than 46% a year earlier.
TheStreet Ratings team rates EXPEDIA INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. The team has this to say about its recommendation:"We rate EXPEDIA INC (EXPE) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EXPE Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV