Global Health Council Taps A "Passionate Voice For The Voiceless" As Its New Executive Director
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Oct. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Health Council, a network of leading organizations dedicated to saving lives and improving the health of the world's poorest people, has named a veteran of UNICEF, USAID, and other global health organizations as its new executive director.
Dr. Christine Sow is an internationally-recognized advocate for global health, with more than 20 years of US and international leadership experience, especially in improving women's and girls' quality of life in resource-poor settings. Trained as a demographer and holder of a Ph.D. in epidemiology, Dr. Sow has led many initiatives to strengthen health systems and increase access to life-saving drugs and facilities.
At GHC, her overall mission will be to build effective partnerships among global health stakeholders and advocate for major-donor-funded health initiatives. She will lead GHC's efforts to respond to members' needs and promote a unified call for sustained funding and resources for global health.Dr. Sow also will have the noteworthy distinction of being the first woman to lead the organization in its 41-year history. Said Dr. Jonathan Quick, Board Chair for GHC: "Dr. Sow brings a wealth of on-the-ground global health expertise along with the leadership experience needed to drive GHC's strategy and growth. We are looking forward to working with her to expand GHC's positive global health impact and advance our members' voices." Leaders of the global health community are praising the selection:
- "Christine is a committed global health leader and a passionate voice for the voiceless," said Michel Sidibe, Executive Director of UNAIDS. "UNAIDS looks forward to working with her towards our shared global health goal of ensuring no one is left behind."
- Dr. Akudo Anyanwu Ikemba, CEO of Friends Africa and a Board Member for GHC, stated: "Friends Africa and other African member organizations of the GHC welcome Dr. Sow's appointment and look forward to supporting her efforts to strengthen the organization. She brings a tremendous amount of experience and an array of skills, including her in-depth experience from working in Africa."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV