DreamWorks Animation soared 17.7% to $32.74 on Wednesday afternoon after its earnings beat expectations. The studio behind Shrek posted third-quarter earnings of 12 cents a share on revenue of $154.55 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected break-even earnings on $139.53 million in revenue.
"Strength in our feature film segment is the single largest driver of our positive third-quarter earnings," said CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg in a statement. "It also continues to propel new areas of growth for DreamWorks Animation as we have now transitioned into a global, diversified family entertainment company."Net income dropped 59% year over year to $10 million, due to a lackluster performance for Turbo compared with last year's summer release Madagascar 3. During the quarter, strong pay-TV numbers for Rise of the Guardians contributed $42.5 million, despite its lack of commercial success during a theatrical release in the first quarter. The company also said it would begin reporting in four separate segments: feature films, television series and specials, consumer products and other. Its feature film segment is the most profitable, contributing 78%, or $120.7 million, to total revenue for the quarter. For the fourth quarter, the Glendale, Calif.-based company said profits would be primarily driven by feature films and holiday-themed content in its television series and specials segment. Analysts expect earnings of 31 cents a share on $230.06 million in revenue for the seasonally-strong quarter. TheStreet Ratings team rates DreamWorks Animation Inc as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate DreamWorks Animation Inc (DWA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DWA Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LNKD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV