Chris Lau, Kapitall: Will basic materials stocks follow solid Freeport earnings, and bring big returns in 2014?
Interest in basic materials stocks wavered some this month as the sector's biggest rally of the year ended with the third quarter – and high prices seem poised to descend across the board in 2013.
Read more from Kapitall: Rebound in Basic Materials: 4 Undervalued Commodities Stocks to Consider
However, as earnings come in, interest appears to be back on the rise. Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) is one mining company that reported strong quarterly earnings and raised its outlook. We decided to take a closer look at Freeport to see if there might be other opportunities in the sector.Solid quarter Freeport earnings included $0.79 per share on net income of $821 million. The company sold 1.04 billion pounds of copper in the third quarter, up from 922 million pounds. Freeport shares soared after results were announced: Click on the interactive chart to see quarterly sales over time. Sales likely missed the 1.06 billion target because output in South America was lower than expected. However earnings were bolstered on the back of rising gold sales up to 305K oz from 202K oz. Production from South America was lower than previously thought, but this was balanced by higher ore grades in Indonesia. Average realized prices for copper dropped to $3.28 per pound, compared to $3.64 per pound last year. Oil and gas production also contributed to solid results. Average realized price for oil was $104.33 per barrel. Where the money goes Freeport raised its operating cash flow guidance – a measure of of a company's income that's less susceptible to accounting tricks than profit or revenue – just slightly for the fiscal year. The firm expects operating cash flow will be nearly $6 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV