Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Target (TGT) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Target as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TGT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $292.0 million.
- TGT has traded 3.3 million shares today.
- TGT traded in a range 219.3% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.99.
- TGT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 40 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 40 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TGT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TGT NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on TGT: Target Corporation operates general merchandise stores in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.7%. TGT has a PE ratio of 15.4. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Target a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold.The average volume for Target has been 4.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Target has a market cap of $40.3 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.59 and a short float of 3.4% with 4.92 days to cover. Shares are up 8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Target as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 4.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- TGT's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.90 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further.
- TARGET CORP's earnings per share declined by 10.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TARGET CORP increased its bottom line by earning $4.53 versus $4.29 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 14.3% in earnings ($3.88 versus $4.53).
- In its most recent trading session, TGT has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TARGET CORP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Target Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about TGT
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV