MELBOURNE, Fla., Oct. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Air Force awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) a $43 million contract to retrofit the E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (Joint STARS) aircraft, trainers and laboratories. The contract has options for an additional three years to complete retrofit of the entire fleet.
The contract replaces computers in both the operator work stations (OWS) and radar signal processor, installs larger OWS displays to improve operator situational awareness and migrates the OWS operating system to a LINUX-based, open-system architecture. Upgrades to the system's on-board network infrastructure increase its bandwidth to improve communications performance for the operator.
"This transition enables our warfighters to get the most capability out of the Joint STARS system," said Bryan Lima, Joint STARS program director, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems. "The open-architecture technology insertion will enable cost-effective upgrades well into the future, allowing us to keep the platform relevant to address emerging threats, while also helping target and identify hostile movement more quickly and efficiently."Joint STARS is the premier airborne command, control, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance platform for the Air Force's air-to-ground battle management and surveillance operations. The platform provides long endurance, all-weather surveillance and tracking of moving and stationary targets; helping U.S. and allied forces shorten the attack and decision chain. Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cyber, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information. SOURCE Northrop Grumman Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV