I have received a number of inquiries from subscribers on whether iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) should be purchased given the complacency that exists today.
My answer is no. I would rather be short SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY) -- in fact, I currently am -- and what follows is my explanation.
Below is a VXX chart.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 10:14 a.m. EDT on Oct. 30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV