Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Career Education Corporation (CECO) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Career Education Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CECO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $13.7 million.
- CECO has traded 397,370 shares today.
- CECO is up 3% today.
- CECO was down 7.5% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CECO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CECO NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on CECO: Career Education Corporation operates colleges, schools, and universities that provide educational services in career-oriented disciplines worldwide. Currently there are no analysts that rate Career Education Corporation a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Career Education Corporation has been 692,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Career has a market cap of $178.4 million and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 2.15 and a short float of 7.7% with 1.48 days to cover. Shares are down 24.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Career Education Corporation as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been weak operating cash flow.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$52.78 million or 6710.06% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, CAREER EDUCATION CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CAREER EDUCATION CORP is rather high; currently it is at 58.84%. Regardless of CECO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CECO's net profit margin of -10.64% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- CECO, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 13.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 19.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- You can view the full Career Education Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about CECO
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV