NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Teva Pharmaceuticals' (TEVA) CEO and President Dr. Jeremy Levin stepped down amid rumors of executive infighting. Executive VP and CFO Eyal Desheh will temporarily assume the positions until a successor has been found.
"My colleagues in Teva's management and I will continue to drive execution and results in full collaboration with our Board of Directors, for the benefit of our patients, shareholders, customers and employees," said Desheh in a statement.
Levin's exit comes after reports of rifts in the Israel-based company's management team. Reports on Israeli television station Channel 2 earlier in the week purported there were significant disagreements between Levin and Chairman Phillip Frost over the company's direction, particularly in how the board wielded influence over day-to-day management.
The news comes a day before the pharmaceutical company is expected to release third-quarter earnings.Earlier in the month, Teva announced it would implement worldwide job cuts affecting 10%, or 5,000, of its employees. The cost-cutting program will realize $2 billion in annual cost savings by the end of 2017. Teva shares plummeted 7.8% to $37.85 in pre-market trading. TheStreet Ratings team rates TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS (TEVA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.58, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that TEVA's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.51, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS is rather high; currently it is at 60.93%. Regardless of TEVA's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TEVA's net profit margin of -9.17% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $875.00 million or 26.53% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS has marginally lower results.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TEVA Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV