Monster.com, the worldwide leader in successfully connecting people to job opportunities and flagship brand of Monster Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: MWW), today released its 2013 Retail Trade Market Watch for the U.S. The report shows a surge in seasonal hiring for shipping departments while only a modest increase in physical retail store sales positions.
Between the months of July and September, online job offerings for mail-order houses (shipping departments) increased at three times the rate (62%) of conventional retail sales positions within clothing stores (27%), computer stores (27%) and department stores (25%). The data suggests an expectation of a large share of holiday shopping to take place online and off the showroom floor.
Additional top insights and analysis of key job seeker activity and recruiting activity across the nation in the Retail Market Watch report include:
1. Joblessness within the Retail Trade labor market (15.1 million jobs 1) continues to ease with industry employment making modest gains over the past few years2. Signs of potential job gains this Holiday Season, with the average annual growth rate for the past 6-months at 5 percent compared to 20 percent the year prior 2 3. Largest expansion in online job offerings recorded for household appliance stores and warehouses 4. The highest volumes of retail-related job seekers are found in California, Texas, Florida, and New York 5. More than two-thirds of available retail-related job seekers are skilled in sales and customer service “Online shopping continues to increase its foothold on holiday gift buying; the fulfillment and shipping departments are feeling the pressure,” said Jeffrey Quinn, Vice President of Monster’s Global Insights. “Seasonal demand for retail jobs is up and we’re seeing these jobs shift from traditional in-store sales and customer service representatives to warehouse labor, individuals with technical expertise and over-the-phone customer service positions.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts