Opening Print and Levels to Watch
The old line that "no one ever promised you a rose garden" has never rung so true. We have a Fed unable to taper, national debt at $17 trillion and an S&P that is up over 25% from a year ago. All up and no down is good for stock owners but not so good for the futures day trader, who needs a good entry point in the form of a pullback.
The higher the S&P goes, the lower the volumes. Friday's volume was 1.25 million, Monday 1.15 million and Tuesday 1.18 million ESZ traded. Yesterday the S&P made its third record close in a row and has made 7 record high closes in the last 9 days.
The Dow, which reported weak earnings two weeks ago, got a boost from
We are going to keep it small today. There is no reason to keep rehashing the Fed no-taper stuff. We all know that money is rolling back into stock and bonds. We just want to know when the Fed is actually going to slow down the process. Until then it's up, up and away.
The S&P is up nearly 26% from a year ago at this time. It's hard to imagine that the Fed will have much to say. Unless we get a few bad economic reports or weak earnings it should be status quo until the Fed headlines hit the tape. Until then we lean to selling the early rally and buying weakness with tight sell stops.
As always, use stops and keep an eye on the 10-handle rule. Don't forget to catch MrTopStep on The Closing Print video found under the OptionsTV page (top bar). We report directly from the SPX pits, wrapping up the day and positioning for trade tomorrow.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
MrTopStep can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/MrTopStep
For LIVE futures chat, more information on the 10-handle rule and futures educational content CLICK HERE FOR A SEVEN-DAY FREE TRIAL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV