Of course, using trailing data for companies expected to rapidly increase revenue is a bit like driving a car while looking in the rear-view mirror, but those numbers are still a bit frightening in the case of Twitter, a company that has never earned a dime.
FB PS Ratio (TTM) data by YCharts
I get the hype, I understand the hoopla, I am a Twitter user. I wonder, however, how many other Twitter users, like me, send out the occasional tweet, perhaps a few per week, but never bother to read tweets from those they "follow"? It's not due to lack of interest; there simply are not enough hours in the day.
There is no doubt that Twitter represents a great breakthrough in communication and social media. But there's sometimes a disconnect between price and value; everyone wants to own the overhyped shiny object that costs $20, but in reality is worth much less. Twitter may have significant value, but that is likely to be obscured by the frenzy of one of the most anticipated IPOs in our history. It's better, in my view, to let the dust settle on this one. It will, however, be fun to watch.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV