Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Plum Creek Timber (PCL) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Plum Creek Timber as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PCL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $39.5 million.
- PCL traded 125,240 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 7:39 AM, representing 14.3% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PCL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PCL NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on PCL: Plum Creek Timber Company, Inc. is a publicly owned real estate investment trust (REIT). The trust owns and manages timberlands in the United States. Its products include lumber products, plywood, medium density fiberboard, and related by-products, such as wood chips. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.7%. PCL has a PE ratio of 32.0. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Plum Creek Timber a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.The average volume for Plum Creek Timber has been 775,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Plum Creek Timber has a market cap of $7.7 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 1.11 and a short float of 5.5% with 10.17 days to cover. Shares are up 6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Plum Creek Timber as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PLUM CREEK TIMBER CO INC has improved earnings per share by 27.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PLUM CREEK TIMBER CO INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.25 versus $1.19 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.38 versus $1.25).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, PLUM CREEK TIMBER CO INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 67.46% to $139.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PLUM CREEK TIMBER CO INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -0.58%.
- 37.95% is the gross profit margin for PLUM CREEK TIMBER CO INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, PCL's net profit margin of 15.18% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Plum Creek Timber Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about PCL
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV