NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. bonds and silver closed strong on Tuesday, possibly setting up for a move higher ahead of Wednesday's Federal Reserve meeting.
On Wednesday, markets will get commentary from the Federal Reserve, which is expected make no changes to current policy.
The first chart below is of iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT).
As I wrote yesterday, defensive sectors such as Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR (XLP) have been outperforming recently, partly because low-beta, slow growth companies do well during times of uncertainty.As investors have rotated away from high-beta companies such as Tesla Motors (TSLA), they have put funds in companies offering less capital appreciation. Defensive companies with lower growth also tend to offer attractive dividends, which can be enticing when bond yields are declining. The long-dated Treasury bond broke higher from its bottom range earlier in the month, but has since consolidated tightly. Prices have drifted lower in a holding pattern, but with the Fed's commentary on the horizon, the promise of continued stimulus could be enough to push bond prices higher. (SLV). Precious metals have been bid higher recently, as stimulus expectations have been projected further out into 2014. A longer period of time with low interest rates causes investors to hedge inflation risk with precious metals such as gold and silver. The dollar has similarly trended lower since September, as investors have been forced to switch dollar long bets in the face of continued stimulus. Follow @AndrewSachais This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV