That's fine with investors, since it adds to the likelihood of the FOMC not tapering QE3 until next year.
Turning to U.S. bank stocks, the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose slightly to close at 65.04, with winners and losers roughly split.
The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday reported that the expected agreement on multiple settlements of criminal and civil investigations of JPMorgan Chase's mortgage lending and sales activities was "at risk of collapse." The Department of Justice is leading the settlement negotiations. As part of the broad bundle of settlements, JPMorgan on Friday announced an agreement with the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) to pay Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac (FMCC) $5.1 billion to settle loss claims on mortgage-backed securities from JPM, as well as from Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual, which JPMorgan acquired during 2008 through government-sponsored deals.
JPMorgan admitted no wrongdoing in the FHFA settlement. The broad settlement with the Justice Department springs from a dispute between the bank and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Following the failure of Washington Mutual in September 2008, the FDIC sold the nation's largest S&L to JPMorgan. The DoJ and JPMorgan continue to dispute how liable JPMorgan should be for actions taken by Washington Mutual leading up to its failure.JPMorgan's shares rose slightly to close at $52.59.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV