Monday was the slowest day of the year for VIX Options, with only 160,000 contracts traded. Roughly 135,000 calls and 26,000 puts traded on the index, nearly 80% below recent average. VIX volume peaked with two all-time records set in early October. VIX touched 21 at that time as stresses related to the federal government shutdown and debt ceiling boosted volatility in the overall market.
With VIX back at the 13 level, individual company earnings have regained the spotlight. The focus has shifted to the micro from the macro and index volume has slid along with volatility. Not only has VIX seen a dramatic decline, but skew has fallen sharply as well. That is, the difference in implied volatility between downside SPX puts and upside SPX calls has fallen back to levels not seen since mid-September (see chart below). The decline in VIX volumes and change in SPX vol skew reflect an important change since mid-October. The predominant sentiment is now risk-on instead of risk-off. The change in psychology is related to the end of the impasse in Washington and the beginning of the earnings reporting season. It also seems to be expressing confidence that the Federal Reserve won't make any meaningful changes to monetary policy until mid-2014. That assumption might be tested tomorrow, however, as the FOMC concludes a two-day meeting and issues a policy statement Wednesday afternoon.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV