Sizing Up Investor Sentiment
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
The S&P 500 Index (.SPX) is up more than 6% since October 9 and continues to notch new record highs. The
CBOE Volatility Index
(VIX), which tracks the implied volatility priced into a large series of SPX options is down from 19.60 to 13.31 during that time, showing just how dramatically investor sentiment has shifted in the past few weeks. As the demand for large institutional hedges has faded (for the moment at least), volume in the VIX trading pit has dropped off considerably.
Monday was the slowest day of the year for VIX Options, with only 160,000 contracts traded. Roughly 135,000 calls and 26,000 puts traded on the index, nearly 80% below recent average. VIX volume peaked with two all-time records set in early October. VIX touched 21 at that time as stresses related to the federal government shutdown and debt ceiling boosted volatility in the overall market.
With VIX back at the 13 level, individual company earnings have regained the spotlight. The focus has shifted to the micro from the macro and index volume has slid along with volatility. Not only has VIX seen a dramatic decline, but skew has fallen sharply as well. That is, the difference in implied volatility between downside SPX puts and upside SPX calls has fallen back to levels not seen since mid-September (see chart below).
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV