JERSEY CITY, N.J., Oct. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Pershing LLC, a BNY Mellon company, today released a white paper on the pending regulatory changes for fiduciaries and the potential impact on how advisors manage IRA rollovers. The white paper, "Pursuing Rollovers in an Evolving Regulatory Landscape" provides insight into the anticipated regulatory changes that will modify the definition of a fiduciary. Pershing has released this white paper to help guide advisors on how they can accommodate these rules as it pertains to IRA rollovers and continue to deliver services to their clients.
IRA Rollovers are a critical client need as well as an important part of the advisory business. As the "Baby Boomer" generation retires, advisors will need to help manage the transition of billions of dollars from retirement plans into rollover IRAs. At the same time, retirement plan distributions and IRA rollovers are becoming more regulated by the Department of Labor (DOL) which will require advisors to be knowledgeable about the regulatory changes to come.
"It is important for advisors to understand the complexities of the regulatory environment," says Robert Cirrotti, director of retirement solutions at Pershing. "Being knowledgeable of the current and pending regulations that will affect the definition of a fiduciary is essential for advisors. These new definitions require advisors to understand when they are considered a fiduciary and when they are not."As the DOL works on regulation to expand the definition of fiduciary advice, more advisors could be subject to regulation by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). According to the paper, advisors who are not fiduciaries can help participants with distributions and rollovers. For those who are fiduciaries, or who become fiduciaries under the expanded definition, the DOL interpretations mean that advisors should consider a prudent approach for assisting clients with rollovers, including:
- Clearly defining the fiduciary services provided to a plan so as not to include rollovers
- Ensuring that the decision to take a distribution and to rollover an IRA is the participant's decision
- Offering clients unbiased educational materials regarding distribution alternatives and rollover services
- Providing written disclosure of fees and expenses for the IRA and its investments, as well as the advisor's compensation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts