Neustar, Inc. (NYSE: NSR), a trusted, neutral provider of real-time information and analysis, today announced that Senior Vice President and Fellow Rodney Joffe received the 2013 FBI Director’s Award for Outstanding Cyber Investigation given his role in uncovering and dismantling the Butterfly Botnet, one of the largest botnet rings in the world. Joffe is one of fifteen individuals to receive the FBI Director’s Award for this case. The awards are the highest honor FBI employees may receive and recognize outstanding contributions and exceptional service to the FBI and its mission.
“It is a true privilege to receive a distinguished honor usually reserved for members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” said Joffe. “I believe that our work on the Butterfly Botnet case is indicative of the good that can come out of closer private/public sector interaction during these types of investigations. This is the first time members of the private sector have been given a Director’s Award for Outstanding Cyber Investigation, and I hope that it is a sign of many future successes to come.”
Through groundbreaking techniques and strong collaboration between a team comprised of private and public sector professionals, the creator, operators and users of the Butterfly Botnet malware were apprehended. The investigation spanned 32 countries and has resulted in 55 arrests and/or searches to date. A number of botnet variants were dismantled during the investigation, including the Mariposa, which was responsible for infecting more than eight million computers.
“The team involved in the Butterfly Botnet case spanned many countries with a vast array of technological disciplines. It was this combination of skills that helped dismantle one of the largest botnets in the world,” the FBI said in a statement. “Their efforts were key to the success of this investigation, and they are well-deserving of the Director’s Award.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV