EXTON, Pa., Oct. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- West (NYSE: WST), a leading global manufacturer of components and systems for injectable drug delivery, today announced the first peer-reviewed data demonstrating the benefits of Daikyo Crystal Zenith vials for the synthesis of radiopharmaceutical products. The study, conducted by researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital's Division of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, compared the effectiveness of container closure systems made from the Daikyo Crystal Zenith cyclic olefin polymer to glass for peptide-labeled radiopharmaceuticals. The study results appear in the October 2013 issue of Applied Radiation and Isotopes.
Peptide-based radiopharmaceuticals are used for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and other therapeutic applications. Glass vials have traditionally been used as the container to enable the necessary chemical reaction that attaches radioisotopes to peptides. However, many peptides can easily be adsorbed by the walls of container closure systems (CCS), which means that costly radiopharmaceutical product is not fully recoverable after the reaction has occurred.
The study, " A container closure system that allows for greater recovery of radiolabeled peptide compared to the standard borosilicate glass system," examined how much product adhered to Crystal Zenith vials compared to glass vials during the synthesis of peptide-labeled radiopharmaceuticals. Key findings from the study include the following:
- Container closure systems made of Crystal Zenith had less product adherence to vials compared to single-use glass vials.
- Crystal Zenith vials retained approximately 10 percent less of the radiopharmaceutical compared to glass vials.
- Improved recovery of radiopharmaceuticals in Crystal Zenith vials was due in part to a lower adherence of the peptide.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV