Rachel Natelli, from Oradell, N.J., was one homeowner who had a home standby generator installed prior to the hurricane season last year. Her experience during Superstorm Sandy was very different from many of her neighbors, some of which lost power for nine days.
"Our standby generator started right up when the power went out from Superstorm Sandy," Natelli said. "It was business as usual around our home while so many others were in the dark for more than a week."
Natelli said the generator powering her home even allowed her to focus on helping others around her who weren't as fortunate to have power during the cleanup process.
"Our home became a hub of activity for our family and friends who had lost power. People brought their laundry over to be cleaned or just stopped by to warm up for a bit," she said. "We cooked meals and made hot chocolate for the cleanup crews. It was just a blessing to have the generator at the ready before Superstorm Sandy struck."According to Inwood, "storm preparedness can still be an overlooked topic unless a large emergency is presently looming — for both homeowners and the media. But consumers who have overlooked preparing their homes still have options. Portable generators are often purchased by homeowners preparing with little time before a storm rolls in, or even immediately after a home goes dark." A portable generator runs on gasoline and can be used to power home appliances and lights. While portable generators need refueling and can only power a few items in a home, they are a good option for homeowners who need an immediate solution after a storm. "Our portable power division typically sees a spike in sales immediately prior to and in the hours after a strong storm strikes a market," Inwood said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV