BENTONVILLE, Ark., Oct. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Walmart announced today that it is kicking off its holiday season with a special focus on more career opportunities for associates. The company expects to promote more than 160,000 associates to jobs with higher pay and more responsibility this year, including 25,000 promotions during its fourth quarter.
Top executives are traveling to stores today to congratulate promoted associates and thank them for the tremendous work they do serving the millions of customers who shop at Walmart. Promoted associates will receive higher pay and more responsibilities, as well as continued access to affordable health benefits.
"Our success from day one is a direct result of our associates and the hard work they do in taking care of our customers. We are proud to provide our people with additional opportunities for career growth and greater economic security for their families," said Bill Simon, Walmart U.S. president and CEO. "Like most Americans, our associates want good jobs and access to a better life. Whether you are a cashier in Charlotte, or a stocker in Dallas or an assistant manager in Los Angeles, Walmart wants to see you succeed."
Walmart provides more employment opportunities than any other company in America. In addition to standard salary and benefits, both full- and part-time associates at Walmart are eligible for quarterly bonuses based on the performance of their stores. Associates also receive a discount card to save 10 percent on most regularly priced general merchandise, fresh fruits and vegetables at any Walmart store."I have been working in retail since I was in high school. I knew I wanted more opportunity to build my career, so when I heard Walmart was coming to town I immediately applied for a job," said Yoselin Umana, a grocery department manager in North Bergen, NJ. "I have been with the company for four years now. I know I made the right choice for my career and my family." Walmart equals opportunity:
- At any given time there are between 15,000 and 50,000 job openings at Walmart U.S.
- There are, on average, more than 400 promotions a day at Walmart.
- Walmart U.S. promotes more than 160,000 associates every year.
- 40 percent of those promotions last year went to people in their first year with the company.
- 75 percent of Walmart's store management teams started as hourly associates.
- More than 30,000 assistant managers earn an average of more than $40,000 a year.
- More than 4,000 store managers earn an average of $170,000 a year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV