United States Steel Corporation (X) Is Today's Post-Market Loser Stock
- X has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $170.8 million.
- X is down 3.3% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in X with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for X NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on X: United States Steel Corporation produces and sells steel mill products in North America and Europe. The company operates in three segments: Flat-Rolled Products (Flat-Rolled), U. S. Steel Europe (USSE), and Tubular Products (Tubular). The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1%. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate United States Steel Corporation a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for United States Steel Corporation has been 6.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. United States has a market cap of $3.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 1.83 and a short float of 30.7% with 5.86 days to cover. Shares are down 12.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates United States Steel Corporation as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- UNITED STATES STEEL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNITED STATES STEEL CORP reported poor results of -$0.97 versus -$0.59 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 51.5% in earnings (-$1.47 versus -$0.97).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 177.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $101.00 million to -$78.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.13 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, X maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.89, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for UNITED STATES STEEL CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 7.13%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.76% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $151.00 million or 65.28% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full United States Steel Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV